Home Forums Archived Forums Recommend a WordPress Plugin Comprehensive Automatic Backup Solutions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    woward
    Participant

Call me paranoid but I’ve watched so many data/system loss tragedies that I’ve become compulsive about computer backup.  I have excellent backup solutions for most aspects of my computer life – 1) daily backups of systems and data to local servers; 2) real-time backups of data to cloud servers; 3) periodic transport of full system & data backups to off-site locations.  I’m pretty well covered for all my local work but not for my hosted WordPress sites.  In the past I’ve had terrible results when trying to use hosting company backups to restore hacked/trashed sites. When I remember, I make backups on my local computers of my live sites, both WP & Weaver settings and SQL data – but this is done irregularly so these backups are often way behind all the posts that might get made to an active site. Because of my general backup strategy I’ve been able to recover from what would have been catastrophic losses of hacked sites but the manual effort and time involved has sometimes been overwhelming and often the backup was not a complete picture of the site at the time it crashed.

So now I’m trying to come up with a good solution for my WordPress sites.  It seems to me that adequate WP site backup should include 1) automatic, regular (daily, weekly, etc.) complete backups of each site; 2) ideally also real-time backups whenever changes are made or data is added or modified; 3) backup to a location other than the host server (either to a backup site I maintain and/or to a commercial cloud service like Dropbox or Amazon); 4) easy restore of a single file or an entire site; 5) easy migration of an entire site between hosts or from a development server to a host server; 6) security so that the backup process doesn’t expose passwords, ftp logins, etc. to hackers; 7) be compatible with WordPress and Weaver Theme updates; and finally, 8) be affordable.

I’ve identified several services/plugins that get pretty good reviews from generic WP users: blogVault, VaultPress, BackupBuddy, UpdraftPlus and BackWPup.  Searching the Weaver forums I’ve found only a few references to any of these (or even to the concept of automatic backups).  Since I’m committed to using Weaver I’d like to hear what other Weaver users are doing and how you have dealt with this issue.

Please share your solutions and suggestions – I suspect this is an important issue for everyone on this forum.

Thanks,

Bill

Weaver
    Keymaster

I use Online Backup for WordPress – mostly to backup the database. You can backup small sites using its free service, or simply e-mail the backup to any e-mail address. I set up a gmail account for that. If your database gets too big, this can be an issue, but this is a simple and reliable solution suitable for most sites, I suspect.

woward
    Participant

Thanks, Bruce: I just checked the online support forum for Online Backup for WordPress and it appears a number of users are having continual errors with failed backups using the plugin.  According to one thread, because the plugin is free, the company that authored it doesn’t provide any support other than an occasional look at the WP support forums.  Here’s the most comprehensive recent thread on the issue: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/online-backups-failing-the-connection-to-your-blog-failed  The forum responses would have one believe that the authors have not responded to any support needs for over a month.  Have you experienced similar problems?  I’m willing to pay a fair price for a backup solution that is reliable and reasonably well supported.  Apparently these guys don’t have a “paid” option at all.  Bill

Weaver
    Keymaster

Their “paid” option is for more storage space on their servers.

My auto backups are being made and e-mailed. I guess I’ve never been so unfortunate as to try to restore one of the backup, which I suppose is something one should do when picking a backup solution! Bad on my part, for sure.

MaryE8
    Participant

I prefer Ahsay software for backup. it is basically designed for managed service providers (MSPs) to provide online backup service to their customers. I am used this services last few months and very happy with this software. I think it is best software for backup.

lambert
    Participant

I use backwpup, can backup to dropbox

Maureen
    Participant

I use Backup Buddy. Can back up to dropbox or their cloud service.

GR8FL
    Participant

I use the paid version of ManageWP and backup to Dropbox. There are a host of other options with this plugin. It is awesome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘ Recommend a WordPress Plugin’ is closed to new topics and replies.