Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Comparative Size of Front Page and Post Pages

Topic Resolution: Resolved
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hkp
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I have been on a quest to speed up my site:  https://www.hiskingdomprophecy.com/

Today I have discovered that the Home Page – a standard ‘WP Page with posts’ – has a delivered size of about 553Kb.

But all Post pages – standard WP format – have a delivered size of about 955Kb.

Given that the header, footer and sidebar are identical in all cases, the only real variation in sizes ought to be the contents, but contents sizes are dwarfed by the Scripts, of which there are more on the Posts pages than on the Front Page.

I have attached below parts of the stats from Pingdom speed tests for the Front Page and a Typical Post.  (Posts only vary marginally in size from this sample.)

It shows that on Posts, some 564Kb comes from gstatic.com, but zero from there on the Front Page.

Checking the site page source, I see that Weaver has different Google calls for a Post and a Page:
    !– Weaver Xtreme Standard Google Fonts for page-type: single –!
    !– Weaver Xtreme Standard Google Fonts for page-type: pwp –!

Can you possibly shed some light on how to lose the gstatic.com call from the posts?  For without it, the Front Page renders fine.

Is there any way that I can configure a typical post page to <550Kb, the same as my front page?

With less script and font calls, the site will be faster and the bandwidth cut dramatically.

FYI, I am using Cloudinary CDN for all images.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Regards and thanks,
    Angus

Pingdom Images:

scrambler

@weaver would have to answer that.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I don’t know what gstatic.com does, but fonts.gstatic.com delivers very little content (60K). I’m pretty sure that supressing the google fonts inherently used by the theme would not make a significant difference.

But you have to look at what the differences between the single page and the home page are:

I see a share this post button with a bunch of links, as well as a comment section.

What all is loaded at the “bottom” of the page is quite different between the two types of pages, and none of the difference is theme related. I see a script that loads the recaptcha code.

So you would have to try to disable those differences to see what might be causing the extra 400K of script. It is not coming from the theme, but apparently a plugin.

There might be alternative plugins to accomplish what you’ve added. It is quite possible the recaptcha code is that big.

You could also try using your browser’s developer tool to see what the extra big scripts might be.

hkp
    Participant

@weaver

Thank you for your insight and advice, kind Sir!.

I was looking in the wrong place.

It was indeed the recaptcha plugin.  I have permanently removed that plugin and now Post Page sizes are reduced by 50-60% and more.

While it seems this will have a marginal effect on our own website bandwidth (or loading times), it does mean that our users in Africa and other places with high data costs will now have significant reductions in their costs.

Thank you again!

Regards,
    Angus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.