Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Child theme style.css – not responding

Topic Resolution: Answered
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Answered
    TexasRanger
    Participant

Hi

I have the xtreme plus version, and try to you use the child-theme style.css stylesheet to make costumized styles, but there is no change no matter what I do…

What can the reason be..?    AND …. can anyone explain the hierachy and the syntax for the attribute boxes on the right side for specific elements, meaning; can I create full classes on sight here, or is that for class names defined somewhere else (maybe the style.css – if it worked ) …?

Thanks in advance – please advice if I didn’t provide enough details.

/Piet

Weaver
    Keymaster

Did you start with the demo child theme found in the Weaver Xtreme directory?

There are no known issues with adding styles to a child theme, but if the only purpose of your child theme is to add cstom styles, that can be more easily accomplished using the Global Custom CSS option provided in the standard Weaver Xtreme options.

scrambler

@TexasRanger

There is no reason to use a child theme just for Custom CSS.

The theme allows you to put any custom CSS directly in the them Global Custom CSS Rule box found in

Customizing ▸ Custom CSS > Global Custom CSS

This CSS is saved with all the other theme options and will survive any updates

Now about what you are trying to do with CSS, please be more specific and provide a link to the page with the elements you are trying to target

But the the theme gives elements a rich class and ID structure, so you will be able to do pretty much any styling you need on any elements once you understand how CSS work. 

That said, always first explore all the theme options, to make sure that what you are trying to do is not already available with them.

If you cant find it or need help doing CSS, as mentioned above, Provide a link to the page where you want changes, and be specific about which elements you want to target, and what you wish to accomplish, and we can give you the CSS to do the job so you can start understanding what you can do with it

TexasRanger
    Participant

Thanks for your satisfactory respond. It makes sense what you say, BUT I already tried that, so mayby I’m doing something wrong. I was educated in this area years ago, but much of it has vanished in the fogs of the years gone by, so to be more specific as to my needs to know, I can say this; I can do all the basic syntax of HTML and CSS (what I can’t remember can I easily find), my challenge here is how the theme works in terms of CSS, because not much of what I do gets any outcome, and I find it hard to grasp the system in it, because there is so many places you can put CSS (and other stuff as well).

It’s not so much that I have something specific I want to change, as it is the urge to be able to understand the vast posibilities. BUT for instance I have tried to change the background color on the block element ‘verse’ without succes. I have searched many places but all you see is where you can change what, but I already found all the places … just don’t know how to use it —– he he he —- so what I really need is to see some coded examples to understand the correct syntax and the wheres and whats.

My site is blocked by “under construction” plugin so nothing to see there.

So the best things for me is to see some actual examples, and what they do ( always best for me – I never was the best at learnng from theory only .. he he)

I sincerely hope it’s more clear what I want, and thanks for specify that it’s all contained inside the theme, that’s also the way I prefer it…

/Piet

scrambler

CSS is highly specific to every element. Without a concrete page to look at there is not much we can do.

If you do not want to open your site so we can give you specifics about it, then setup a test site in a sub folder that we can use to give you specific CSS for specific problems.

What you can do in the meantime is read the article below

Browser Developer Tools and Code Validation – Weaver Xtreme Guide (weavertheme.com)

And you can browse this forum, it has 100s of examples of Custom CSS we give people for specific needs

Weaver
    Keymaster

Just trying to read your mind on what you’ve done – trying to change the bg color on a block verse.

There are no doubt already existing rules that set that color that are probably overriding your rule. Or your rule may not have been specific enough for a block.

Changing specific parts of different blocks can be very difficult, but very trivial as well.  Many block already have color options in the edit sidebar. And you can look at the block in the html source of the block editor to see what classes you might want to change. And every block allows you to add a specific class to it, so you can then get really directed CSS for that particular instance of a particular block in a particular page or post.

BUT, with a correct CSS rule in the Weaver Xtreme Global CSS box, it will always be there and work.

Private Reply
    TexasRanger
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Best Answer
    scrambler

This reply has been accepted as the best answer.

*** When you add a class to an element by typing a name in the class box, you can then use that class as a selector for a CSS rule.

For example, typing myclass in the box, you could then use a rule like below to change the text color if applicable.

.myclass {color:red;}

BUT and that is a big BUT, it may not work if there are other rules in place setting the color that are stronger.

a CSS rule is composed of a set of selectors (one or more), followed by styling properties inside curly brackets and separated by semi colons. The selector(s) determine what the rule applies to, but they also determine which rules wins over in case of conflict.

There is an elaborate hierarchical system that determines when a set of selectors takes precedence over another. like more selectors, parents vs child, IDs etc…..

There is a way to sometimes bypass the hierarchical system by adding !important like

.myclass {color:red !important;}

But that may not always work depending on a given situation.

Also, CSS is very touchy on syntax, and sometimes the slightest mistake (a missing space or bracket…) will break the rule and possibly break all the rules following the bad one. So adding a bad rule can not only not work, but it can cause all the CSS from the theme that follows to fail. When something breaks, that is the first thing to check, and this is why running custom CSS through an online validator is always a good idea.

*** Regarding your last question about using what we call the legacy Admin pages for settings (Appearance > Xtreme Admin) or the Customizer (Appearance > Customize), it makes no difference to use either one. The Legacy admin is organized by Where (header, footer…)  then What (style, layout…) , but the Customizer right now is organized by What then Where .
    In the upcoming version 5, the Customizer will be available in both modes, and the legacy Admin will go away, so you can get use to using the customizer as much as possible.

TexasRanger
    Participant

Hello again…

Can you tell me how to use (or guide me to a tutorial) on how to use the “inline code” menu item in the block editor, from the dropdown menu just before the three dots at the far end..?  I tried to find some information on the subject, but it’s alle about everything else and other ways to edit HTML code..

Thanks in advance…

/Piet

Weaver
    Keymaster

In reality, the inline code view from a block editor page is really only good for information – it should not be used to edit the html. The entire structure of a block edited page/post is very complicated, and any change to the content can easily and often break the whole page. Don’t do it.

If you really need to edit the HTML, then use a Classic Block. You can edit it in the HTML mode however you wish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.