Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Cannot log into one of my sites

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    laura
    Participant

@weaver

This happened after I applied Version 5 of the latest update.

I can view the website, but I cannot log into it. I get the following message using the Chrome browser:
    <h1>Not Acceptable!</h1>
    An appropriate representation of the requested resource could not be found on this server. This error was generated by Mod_Security.

I applied Version 5 to many of my weaver installations and I only had had issue with this one.

I’m assuming I need to contact my web host?

On the ipad it says, “Cookies are blocked due to unexpected output.”

scrambler

I have also lost the ability to log into my test site after applying 5.0.5, not the same message though.

I have informed @weaver, hopefully he is looking into it…

Weaver
    Keymaster

Seems to be a PHP bug for some versions of PHP. I modified the offending lines, and that seems to stop the issue. It looked like perfectly legal PHP to me, and obviously worked fine on the PHP version I use on my development system, but I could reproduce it on a hosted site running an older version of PHP. I’ve never encountered this problem before.

scrambler

@weaver, for people who can no longer log into their site, what is the best course of action?

laura
    Participant

I am currently on the phone with Hostgator and they changed the php level on one of my sites from 7.1 to 7.4 and cleared the cache using an internal tool they use and i was able to regain control of one of my sites, but i have so many installations.

laura
    Participant

I’m not sure yet whether or not I can resolve this on my own. I have many installations effected by this.

I lost the connection with Hostgator…

I have other error messages relating to the header. Very confused. Still trying to work on it.

Even if @weaver can release a new version to somehow fix this, I still have to be able to log into the site in order to apply the update.

laura
    Participant

i am looking into restoring my cPanel for one of my accounts because there are too many installations to deal with.

Weaver
    Keymaster

The best solution I can think of would be to use cPanel to delete/replace the /wp-content/themes/weaver-xtreme directory.

Some cPanels include the ability to upload a whole directory directly. Others would allow you to upload the weaver-xtreme 5.0.6 file directly, then unzip it to the themes directory.

This really is unfortunate. The bug literally involved a single space in the wrong sequence of PHP code. Totally legal PHP code except for 7.1 apparently (and perhaps others). Technically, a BIG company might be able to test PHP software on many versions, but that isn’t really possible of a small operation like Weaver Xtreme.

One also might be able to suppress display of PHP errors on the site, maybe via the DEBIG value in the wp-config.php file. Not really sure.

If one were using an auto-update package, that might also still run to update to 5.0.6.

I do know that I could reproduce the error message on one of my sites with 5.0.5, but I could still login, so there must be some level of error notification suppression that doesn’t break the login. The error seems to be issuing an error message that is breaking the http protocol for loading pages.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

I have a site open on the cPanel, but I do not see the upgrade to version 6 yet. I disabled weaver by renaming the folder, but I can’t see the update link yet for version 6. Did you say there’s a way to upload it through the cPanel? Right now, I only see the link that would take me back to version 5.

Above the log in box it says, “Cookies are blocked due to unexpected output.” and it doesn’t process the log in username and password.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Weaver Xtreme 5.0.6 is available on the WP.org site:

Weaver Xtreme

Since you renamed the folder, WP won’t be looking for an update, so you may need to download it from the WP site, then use the Theme Upload option to upload.

Note: Gee, bbPress has gotten so “helpful”. The simple link to the theme page now shows a fancy full rendering. You just have to click on the image to get to the download page.

laura
    Participant

@weaver

That worked! Thank you!!! I was able to upload it as a zip file and then I activated it.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Whew! Some of the earlier issues involved the difficulty of dealing with all the ramifications of changes to the theme design. So many tiny things to account for, mostly avoidable if we had the resources to recreate every configuration.

But this last one is completely frustrating as it was a PHP version bug, and not a coding issue. And worse, ti made it impossible for people to login – even scrambler!

laura
    Participant

I couldn’t log into any of my sites.

I decided to have a cPanel restore last night on my staging weaver site account because there are too many installations on the account. There must be about 15-20 weaver sites, but they are not production sites.

Originally, the Hostgator technician thought it was because the PHP version wasn’t high enough so he bumped it up and then I saw the link to upgrade to version 6 (which is what really fixed it).  All I really had to do would’ve been to rename the weaver folder in the file manager and upgrade to version 6, but it wasn’t out yet.

The PHP errors only show up in the error log from my cPanel. I didn’t see them above the log in for the site, but I still couldn’t log into the site.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.