Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme can you recommend a plugin to allow posting of photos?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mandali44
    Participant

I am revising a website for a birder group and they would like to allow members to post photos of birds they have seen.  Is there a “spam free” plugin that you can recommend?

Thanks

scrambler

I am not sure of what you are asking here.

Are you looking for a plugin that would make it easier for them than just upload their images in the media library and add them to a page themselves?

You need to elaborate about how images are being displayed right now and what exactly you are expecting people to be doing like create a new page, just add images in an existing gallery etc….

mandali44
    Participant

I am not really sure what I am looking for, probably something like a bulletin board.  They want members of their group to be able to add photos like in a forum.  They previously had a bulletin board and it was a spam nightmare.  They don’t want to have to have a moderator constantly weeding out the spam. 

scrambler

If you don’t even know where they would be adding images, it is hard to start looking for a solution 🙂

mandali44
    Participant

I am sorry, this is all new to me.  I have never worked with a website that allowed posting.  I think they want something like a “group blog”, if that is the term, or a forum.

scrambler

A forum is just a place where people post message eventually with image, but the images don’t go into a web site page. Forum requires their own application which can be in a form of a plugin like these examples

http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/5-best-forum-plugins-for-wordpress/

You could also simply allow people to post images in the comment section of a page using a plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/comment-images/ 

If the posting needs to be private, you can require for people to log in before commenting

mandali44
    Participant

I don’t need them to go into a website page and it doesn’t need to be private unless it needs to be private to avoid spam.  I will investigate your suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Bobthearch
    Participant

I would integrate a forum into the website if the site owners want a “community” atmosphere with lots of user posts, informal interaction, and back-and-forth discussions.
    If the website’s hosting service uses a complete C-panel, there are some forum softwares available that way.  Or it’s probably easier to just do it as a WordPress plug-in; I notice the software titles in Scrambler’s link are some of the same as those on C-Panel.

mandali44
    Participant

I think the owners just want a way for their members to post photos and add a comment about where they took the photo.  I am trying the comment-images plugin that scrambler suggested.  I don’t know yet if that is what they want.

Thanks for your suggestion.

mandali44
    Participant

Hi scrambler,

I tried the plugin comment-images that you suggested and I think it is going to work.  However, I have a question.  Is it possible to change the words “comment” and “reply” to something else?  I want to set it up so that the page is just one initial entry and then people can add their own entry, as a reply, but I don’t want to call it a reply or comment.  I know this sounds confusing.  Here is the page:

http://liltheadesigns.com/newshoalwater/bird-sightings/

I added some dummy “comments” or “replies” so that you could see what I am after.

Thanks.

scrambler

I think you can do that using the wordpress translation files, but I dont know the details. @weaver may have more information

Weaver
    Keymaster

This can be done. It is even documented, but I’ve never really publicized this not-quite-final document.

For your case, see:

http://weavertheme.com/wp-content/themes/weaver-xtreme/help/weaver-api.html#custom-messages

It does require Weaver Xtreme Plus.

mandali44
    Participant

I don’t have Weaver Xtreme Plus.  I am in the process of phasing out my web work and this is one of the last websites I will be revising.  Would it be possible to create a child theme for the comment.php file and change the words that way?

scrambler
    I would suppose so.
    I would also try the wordpress language files, but I am not sure how that works so you will have to do some research on that
    Weaver
    Keymaster

You can spend hours creating a child theme, or spend a few bucks and add a few simple lines of code via Weaver Xtreme Plus – you have to evaluate how much your time is worth.

mandali44
    Participant

Your point is well taken.  Problem is that this is a freebie I am doing for a friend.  The group runs on pennies and is more of a public service organization as they are all volunteers who do beach cleanup, bird counting, etc.  I realize that the cost of Weaver Xtreme Plus is more than reasonable (and definitely worth buying) but I am not in a position to purchase it and keep renewing it over the years.  If I were still employed,  I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it and pay for any time extensions needed.

And thank you for your continued help.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.