Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Big problem changing or even uninstalling Weaver Xtreme theme

Topic Resolution: Resolved
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ColorSlide.com
    Participant

After several years I decided to uncomplicate my website, https://colorslide.com/ by redesigning it and simplifying it.  I changed the theme to WordPress 2021 two months ago.  I just went there in Edge and I got the following…

screenshot

It can’t find my new homepage and I don’t understand why the Weaver theme is still displaying.  I’ve emptied the cache everywhere I can, but it still shows up.

So, I went to Firefox to see what that looks like and it looks like my redesign.

2nd screenshot

How can this be?  I don’t understand it and I’ve been building websites since 1996.  WordPress makes it easier.

So, I decided to uninstall Weaver Xtreme with the WordPress Themes tool > Weaver theme details > Delete.  Doing that resulted in no website online at all!  What I saw was a message that WordPress was looking for Weaver Xtreme!  Yikes!

Luckily, I use BlogVault to create backups that I could restore to.  However, the Weaver theme still appears as above.  The Weaver theme can’t find my new homepage or any other pages, so it always displays the 404 page.

I’m at my wits end on this problem.  I will swallow my pride and humbly ask for some help.  I think I need to delete Weaver Xtreme and the problem will be solved.  That didn’t work.  It deleted my entire website.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

Weaver
    Keymaster

When I go to your link, it shows the new site.

There should be no issues deleting an unused theme after you’ve set your theme to be something else.

If fact, this seems to be a caching issue. If you are using any caching plugin or service (e.g., Cloudflare), be sure you cleared the caches, including any browser caching.

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I discovered in Edge that it was syncing with my phone and a laptop, so I stopped the sync and emptied the data that Microsoft servers were caching for my “convenience.”  I emptied the browser caches in both Edge and Firefox too.  I emptied the cache plugin and I don’t use Cloudflare. I had high hopes that it was fixed.  But alas….

Edge shows the updated webpage until I log-in to WordPress.  Then the same 404 message with the old Weaver theme shows with every preview or everytime I click the Home button at the top > Visit Site.

Firefox shows the updated webpage until I log-in to WordPress.  Then the same 404 message with the old Weaver theme shows with every preview or everytime I click the Home button at the top > Visit Site.

This is what the Customizer shows depicted below in Firefox.  2021 theme is selected, and my old Weaver theme is displayed.  When I click the Homepage Settings, my Static Page is selected, but it can’t be found.  I’m still baffled.  WordPress and all of the plugins are up to date.  I haven’t changed these settings for weeks.

screenshot

I beg to differ with you, but when I deleted the Weaver theme with WordPress, the entire website was gone, with a message looking for the Weaver theme.  I had to restore a backup copy and I lost my brand new pages I had just finished.  That was my frustrating Friday last week.

What folders and files can I delete manually so this problem will go away?

Thanks,

George

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

More info… as an experiment I moved the weaver-extreme theme folder to my computer by FTP and then I launched my website in a new Edge window.  This is what I mean when I say my website disappears.

screenshot

scrambler

“I beg to differ with you, but when I deleted the Weaver theme with WordPress, the entire website was gone, with a message looking for the Weaver theme.”

Before deleting XTreme, had you first switched to 2021 AND was the website displaying normally with 2021?

Weaver
    Keymaster

Are you using a “standard” web hosting service?

Depending on the caching involved, the issue can be difficult to track down. I don’t know what Edge might do with caching, but apparently that might be your issue.

Have you tried visiting your website, both in normal visitor mode (not logged in), and when logged in using different browsers?

But as long as you have installed 2021 on your website and have activated it, then whether you delete Weaver or not, it should be irrelevant. The way WP has ALWAYS worked is the activated theme is the one used.

But it sounds as if Edge might be doing some aggressive caching. Normally, caches are auto-purged every so often, ususally 24 hrs or less. But this absolutely sounds like a caching issue, somehow with Edge. Trying other browsers should help verify that is the case. And in the future, you may discover other caching issues if you change any content – caches must be purged while in development.

It is really impossible that Weaver has anything at all to do with issue, as long as you’ve installed 2021 and activated (which MUST be the case since I’m seeing the 2021 version of your site on my the browser I use for testinig, which included Edge).

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

“I beg to differ with you, but when I deleted the Weaver theme with WordPress, the entire website was gone, with a message looking for the Weaver theme.”

Before deleting XTreme, had you first switched to 2021 AND was the website displaying normally with 2021?

Yes.

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

Are you using a “standard” web hosting service?

>> No.  I have a VPN with several websites hosted.

Depending on the caching involved, the issue can be difficult to track down. I don’t know what Edge might do with caching, but apparently that might be your issue.

>> It’s not.  Read how I eliminated caching with yesterday’s post above.

Have you tried visiting your website, both in normal visitor mode (not logged in), and when logged in using different browsers?

>> Yes.  Edge and Firefox.  Both show 2021 until I log into WordPress.  See the Firefox image above in customizer.  It says 2021 and Weaver shows.  Plus, Weaver can’t find my designated home page any more.

But as long as you have installed 2021 on your website and have activated it, then whether you delete Weaver or not, it should be irrelevant. The way WP has ALWAYS worked is the activated theme is the one used.

>> Not for me.  WP is showing Weaver when it’s not selected.

But it sounds as if Edge might be doing some aggressive caching. Normally, caches are auto-purged every so often, ususally 24 hrs or less. But this absolutely sounds like a caching issue, somehow with Edge. Trying other browsers should help verify that is the case. And in the future, you may discover other caching issues if you change any content – caches must be purged while in development.

>> I wrote about caching yesterday.  Now the problem appears in Edge and Firefox after all of the cache was emptied.

It is really impossible that Weaver has anything at all to do with issue, as long as you’ve installed 2021 and activated (which MUST be the case since I’m seeing the 2021 version of your site on my the browser I use for testinig, which included Edge).

>> Obviously, it’s not impossible.  Why is Weaver showing in the WP customizer?

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

Oops!  I typed VPN by mistake.  I have a Virtual Private Server, VPS.

Weaver
    Keymaster

It cannot be the theme. It can only be some strangeness with your servers.

Any theme has absolutely no control if it is set as the active theme. That is 100% under control of the WP Admin page.

Any chance there is some sort of “central” WP install that is covering more than one client?

I’ve never used a VPS before, and really don’t know how they are configured. I saw this in an explanation:

“VPS hosting uses virtualization technology to split a single physical machine into multiple private server environments that share the resources.”

So, multiple private server environments? Does that mean multiple versions of the WP hosting, DB, etc.

I think you need to take this up with the support of whoever is providing the VPS for you.

Again, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the theme. It is impossible. I’ve been working with WP for almost 15 years now, and I know how WP handles changing themes.

On the other hand, I don’t really know anything about VPS, but really the only explanation remaining is that it ust have somethings to do with the configuration of your VPS – given your efforts to eliminate caching issues, that is about all that is left.

EDIT: I did a little research, and there are occasions that WP on a VPS can have changed IP issues. Did you recently change, move, or upgrade your VPS?

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

I’ve never heard of a central WP install.  I host several websites on the VPS and each has it’s own WP install.

I’m not aware of the server changing recently.

How about this change… XTreme was installed several years ago and all during that time my website had a WWW in front.  I believe I changed that back in September when I changed everything to the 2021 them.  It was at that point I recall removing the WWW in WordPress.  Perhaps I should figure out where to put that back and see what happens.  Could that be the problem?

Thanks,

George

Weaver
    Keymaster

In general, servers are configured so that www and plain are identical. But this would be in your servers DNS records.

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

I think I have solved the problem.  I consulted WP.

Common WordPress Errors – WordPress.org Forums

Specifically, I applied this fix:

Some file was mucked up previously and now it’s fixed.  Now my site is showing correctly and while logged into WP also.  I was able to delete the Weaver theme normally like it’s supposed to happen.  Thanks for your help on this.

I loved having the Weaver Xtreme theme in use from 2014 to 2022.  I made it too complicated for phones with too much text to read, so I had to change it.

ColorSlide.com
    Participant

I also used Blogvault to deactivate all of my plugins.  Their support people said one of the plugins was hanging up the theme handler in WP.  I deleted that plugin and some others as well.  Thanks for your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.