Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Another menu question

Topic Resolution: Resolved
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    allpurposeguru
    Participant

This is a different question about the same website as the one I posted a few minutes ago, https://sustainabilityscout.com.

Those items with the little squares next to them have subtopics under them. I don’t intend to write a page to match those top levels, so I don’t want them clickable. I have a stub page just to get the menu structure to look right. What is the correct way to do what I want?

scrambler

If a menu item should not be clickable, you can check the Placeholder option in the corresponding page editing page

But there is a problem with your menu. These squares are normally down arrows created with a genericon character. They do not show up on your page for some reason (display as squares on chrome).

Also, most of the images under Mybooks are not showing up, not sure exactly why

You may want to deactivate all non weaver plugins to see if the menu items down arrow show up, and if images down the page show up.

allpurposeguru
    Participant

Thanks. I found where to designate the stub pages as placeholders. The menu works as expected now. I think that’s the first time I have used any of those options.

I have seen other sites with menus that work the way I wanted mine to work, but I don’t remember seeing any down arrows. The squares are there on Chrome, but I checked on Safari and there’s nothing there. If there are supposed to be down arrows, what does it take to get them? Or at least get rid of the squares in Chrome?

+ + +

I had intended to ask this as a separate question, but since you mentioned the book images, I’ll just ask here. I built two tables for images. They look ugly with the black boxes around each picture. I can’t figure out how to adjust the size or placement of the images. How can I control the appearance of the table? Or is there a better way?

As far as the picture not showing up, that has happened to me, apparently at random, for years. When I get to it, I’ll just try to reinstall it. That usually works. If you don’t know why they don’t show up, I’ll certainly never figure it out!

scrambler

Menu:

There is something wrong with your site causing the arrows not to show, this is why I suggested deactivating ALL non weaver plugins temporarily to see if they show up. Have you tried that?

You can also try to deactivate Smart menus in Main options > menus and see if that makes a difference.

@weaver, can you think of what would cause the Down arrow not to show up, it appears to be the genericon font not showing up, as I can replace it by actual text and it shows up?

Your images not showing up could also be caused by a plugin, again, try temporarily deactivating ALL non weaver plugins and see if that makes a difference.

For the table border, there is a theme option to remove them in Main Options > Content Areas > Lis HR Tables > Table style

Weaver
    Keymaster

It is the SiteGround optimizer – as usual with Weaver Xtreme, when an optimizer tries to minimize (and combine) JavaScript (and CSS files in this case), it breaks Weaver.

So, @allpurposeguru will have to change the settings on SG Optimizer to disable minimization and combination of CSS files.

I was able to see this myself on a test site as I use SiteGround (and have been mostly happy with them). They do not enable minimization / combining by default, so this was something you selected yourself. When you try optimaztion options like that, you must be very careful to review your site before and after. It can be subtle, such as failing to load the genericon CSS files correctly.

So I guess I would fault SG for this a little bit.

They recently migrated all my sites to a new server, which ended up breaking most of my email handling. I handle all my email a bit differently than many – everything is forwarded to gmail so I have much superior spam handling, as well as other features that allows me to centralize and simplify my dealing with emails. I also use Cloudflare for all my sites. So between those two things, some of the DNS records no longer worked. They did on the old SG server, but something happened after the transfer. Fortunately, SG tech support figured out the failed setting (a cPanel setting) after a couple of calls. Fortunately they had notified me that the server was migrated the previous early morning, and I got a phone call almost right away from someone trying to send me email, so it turned out to be a low impact problem.

So mostly, I really recommend SG for WP sites. But with any optimization, one must be very very careful!

Weaver
    Keymaster

Follow up: it seems the combining CSS option is breaking things. The minimize option didn’t seem to hurt.

allpurposeguru
    Participant

Thank you both.

Weaver
    Keymaster

I posted a bug report for the SiteGround plugin.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.