Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Alternatives to clear:both

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  KatrineBB 5 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

This might be a dumb question – but there’s a whole lot of clear:both inline styles in the Weaver Xtreme theme and as far as I can read (and I’m no nerd so please bear with me) this clearfix method is deprecated. From what I can tell, Google isn’t really fond of it either. Is it something that we can expect being ‘solved’ in future updates? Or is it just the way it is?

Thanks in advance 🙂

clearfix and clear:both are not the same things – clearfix still seems to be a perhaps preferred way of controlling clears.

Over the years, we’ve found that using .clearfix does not always work when combined with various JavaScript tools – such as masonry display, for example. There also were issues with IE8 which we’ve only discontinued supporting for a year or so.

Perhaps it is time to re-examine all the uses of .clearfix / clear:both and see if at least some of the clear:both insertions can be removed. There is a  new 4.0 version of Weaver Xtreme in the works that has some major changes (some that may require a bit of fixing things in existing child themes), and it might the time to re-examine our use of <div style=”clear:both;”></div> in favor of the latest version of .clearfix.

But there certainly is a lot to be said if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! I’ve never heard anything about Google caring about them, but if you have a reference to some specific documentation on that, it would very interesting to know about.

if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Sure thing, these clear where put in because they were necessary for the layout to behave properly.

And I am actually confused by the statement above.

I do not see why making a container clear floating ones would be a problem of any kind. If you need a container to clear you need it to clear, this is not something that gets deprecated…

Thanks for your answers. I agree not to fix things, that ain’t broken.

But I get errors in http://www.seoptimer.com over these inline styles.

See below:

The copy of your report is a completely different observation, actually.

Technically, there may be a way to avoid an explicit clear element, but that way has proven to be unreliable.

But, Weaver’s practice has been to use explicit inline style to do the clears in many places. If that is actually bothering some SEO, that is something tha could be changed by altering those to using a class instead of inline style.

I will investigate that for version 4.0.

Hi Weaver,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I’m no code nerd – just looking to improve my SEO score 🙂

I look forward to v 4.0.

Have a great weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.