Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Adding Text at the end of a Page with Posts

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nstratman 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

nstratman
    Participant

I have a site owner that wants to add some text at the end of the home page, which is constructed as a page with posts displayed as excerpts in a grid. If you add text to the normal edit window of such a page it appears before the post grid. I thought I’d try it out on my own site first which has the same kind of home page https://www.cockfield.org.uk.

I couldn’t think of an easy way to do this. So I set up a per page widget area called homepageend with a text widget and included it in the pages bottom widget in the widget area replacement section of the page. The widget just contains the text ‘test at end of page with posts’. Unfortunately it does not appear.

Can you advise what I’m doing wrong pls. Is there a better way of adding text at the end of a page with posts?

Maureen
    Participant

I’m not sure why the widget is not appearing, but what I would do in this case is use Weaver Show Posts on a regular page (not page with posts, would need to change that in settings).

After dropping the Weaver Show Posts shortcode on the page, I would then be able to add content above or below it.

scrambler

Maureen is right, if you need to mix content and posts (other than content first posts second), then using a regular page and show posts shortcode(s) is the way to go.

You can download the weaver show posts plugin from wordpress.org

nstratman
    Participant

I get what you’re saying; thanks I’ll give it a try.

Weaver
    Keymaster

If the bottom text is appropriate for a widget, you could put it in the blog bottom widget area.

nstratman
    Participant

…but not the page bottom widget area which I tried?

Weaver
    Keymaster

Page with Post get the Blog Top and Bottom Widget areas.

nstratman
    Participant

Blog Top and Bottom Widget areas are not available in the Widget Area Replacements section?

nstratman
    Participant

I’ve now had a play with Show Posts and had a problem. I created a simple page containing a few lines of text, then a Show Posts with 3 columns of posts from a category, then a few more lines of text. The text below the shortcode appears all over the place in the published page. The first part of the text appears below the 3rd cell in row 1, the next bit appears below the 3rd cell in row 2, and the rest below cells 2 and 3 of the last row!

Here’s the page:

https://www.cockfield.org.uk/neil/

The page uses the default template.

Any ideas?

Maureen
    Participant

I’ve tested on one of my sites and came up with the same thing. Scrambler or Weaver will be able to help with this one.

Or use Weaver’s suggestion.

nstratman
    Participant

I happened to see your reply on my phone and found that the layout is fine when in portrait mode where only 1 column of posts is displayed.

I can’t use Weaver’s suggestion because on my edit page the Blog pages are not among the available widget area replacement content types.

By the way I am on WP 4.9.8 Weaver Xtreme 4.05 and Xtreme Plus 3.11

scrambler

You need to force your paragraph text to clear the posts columns.

One way to do that is to use HTML for your paragraph

<p style="clear:both;"> your text </p>

Or to insert the HTML below before your content

<div style="clear:both;"></div>

@weaver, I think we may be missing a clearing div after the showpost content when using multipole columns.

Without it, we can run into the present issue, where the last row of posts being incomplete, the content following the show post ends up floated to the right of it.

nstratman
    Participant

Thanks I tried your paragraph HTML and it worked fine. I’m happy to use that while you decide on a fix. Thank you for your efforts.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.