Home Forums Weaver Xtreme Theme Accessibility Suggestion

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    abletec
    Participant

I know that the Plus version has smart menus, wherein the menu can be labeled, but this isn’t possible in the free version. This presents a real accessibility problem, because especially on mobile devices, without such a label, the menu doesn’t speak its function, & thus those using screen readers don’t know to tap to access it.

I know that you’ve said you don’t intend to implement this functionality in the free version, but not doing so truly presents a severe accessibility problem for those using screen readers.

Thanks for reading.

scrambler

@weaver will have to comment

Weaver
    Keymaster

Sorry – I don’t really understand your request.

As far as I know, there is no real difference in the generated HTML for standard and Smart menus.

What, exactly, do Smart menus allow or support that allow you to create “speaking” menus?

Any other themes that you know about that automatically create speaking menus?

A link to a site that has them, please.

Are you wanting to add aria tags? Do the speaking menus have general phrases, or do they try to say the name of the menu?

abletec
    Participant

Hello. Sorry I didn’t make my request clearer. In the Plus version, you can apply a label to the mobile hamburger menu. If, for example, I apply the label of menu bar to it, then the screen reader will speak “menu bar” instead of remaining silent.

This isn’t critical in the desktop view, because the menu is visible, but in the mobile view, it has to be tapped, & all the screen reader user gets is silence, so s/he may very well not know that a menu exists at all.

Does that clarify? & thank you.

Weaver
    Keymaster

So, I see there seems to be some option overlap between the standard Weaver Xtreme and the Plus version.

The standard version has an option to label the “Hamburger” with text for both the primary and secondary menu. Legacy: Main Options -> Menus -> Options:All Menus -or- Customizer Weaver Xtreme V4: Layout -> Menus -> Layout for All Menus

There area also two options in the Plus version that do the same thing, except separated for primary and secondary menus. These definitions override the standard version that applies to both.

I’m not sure there is a need also have the per menu option in the standard version. It is an advanced added feature for the Plus plugin.

abletec
    Participant

Well, ahem–I guess I could tell you I didn’t see that initially, but that would likely be an exercise in the obvious. So let me just apologize for missing that. Not quite sure how, but I did. Again, humblest apologies.

Weaver
    Keymaster

Easy to miss – overlap of options with fairly small differences in functionality is easy to overlook. I’d say not the best interface design, but likely added the free option after the individual options were there already.

abletec
    Participant

Actually, I think what may have happened is that I didn’t have the support plugin enabled because, when it is, my customizer won’t load. When I deactivate the support plugin, the customizer works fine. But I don’t think the hamburger label option is visible in the customizer? I have another site of mine (where plus is enabled) that used the label, so I guess I just thought it was available only in the paid version. & I also read a comment in 1 of the forums that led me to believe the same. When I did go to the Xtreme Admin page, it asked me to install the support plugin, & I was able to find the option then. So I screwed up. What can I say? Happens routinely. When I quit doing so, I’ll be pushin’ up flowers. Screwing up & living go hand in glove, I guess. :).

scrambler

The label for the hamburger in the customizer is at

Customizing ▸ Layout > Menus > Layout for ALL menus > Mobile menu Hamburger label

You may want to elaborate on what you mean by the customizer does not work with the support plugin enabled, as this is not normal and was never reported, so you may have an underlaying installation issue.

abletec
    Participant

Well, the error message flashes by pretty quickly, but it has something to do w/the fact that I need to close the customizer & go back to the previous page. The customizer seems to allow me to enter changes, but then I can never publish them, ie, the ‘publish’ button is greyed out. When I deactivate the support plugin, everything’s fine.

It’s a pretty minimal install, an accessibility helper plugin, S2Member & its pro version, Contact form 7 & its accessible defaults addon, a cf7 addon to allow file uploads, & Wordfence. All components at their latest versions.

scrambler

You need to post the content of the system info box from the help page here so we can check install parameters

Also read this article and check the various item it lists

Settings Won’t Save from Customizer – Weaver Xtreme Guide (weavertheme.com)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.